Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Anne Lindberg studio visit and meeting

Hi all, Jonathan Muehlke here kicking off our blog, thinkingartstl, with the first post.  My hope is that other members will feel comfortable posting relevant comments of a serious, reflective, critical, and constructive nature related to our lively art discussions.  This may include  images for further dialogue or other relevant media in addition to writing.  My own loosely defined goal is also to use this blog as a forum to encourage each other and expand discussion of our work beyond the studio with a larger peer group.  In one sense I think of this blog as a kind of "testing grounds" for ideas and discussion related to art, but I also see it as a space to more formally articulate current concerns, ideas, and future trajectories with our work and studio practices.  What do others think?  I would like to welcome other colleagues to submit other formative short pieces of writing, posts, or replies.  Maybe we could get one different person to do a post following each studio visit?  It could be a great way to get back into writing more about each others art.

Below I have included images documenting our group's visit to Anne Lindberg's studio.  We munched on some wonderful rosemary sea salted bread and sipped on beer while Anne gave a wonderful slide presentation of her work.  The conversation was rich, lively, and engaging.  Anne first gave a lecture her work then the group moved into her studio to talk about the most recent paintings in progress.  

From my perspective I found the discussion of compression, narrative, and challenging oneself to be most interesting. (expand)   I also continue to have an intellectual interests in Emmanuel Levinas, who Anne wrote about in her MFA thesis, as well. (expand) I eagerly look forward advancing these discussions in the future with her as kick off a more focused reading and discussion group.  This is still in the works so please contact me if you are interested at Jonathan.muehlke@gmail.com.  I will be sending an email to all members of the group soon enough.  

Thanks for listening to me and enjoy the images! 

On the way to the studio at the city museum
 
Anne Lindberg giving slide lecture of work

Anne explicating the process of casting home models 

Group discussion, Aaron Bos Whal, Jordan McGirk, Meghan Bean, John Early, Carlie Trosclair, and Gina Grafos.

Painters Jordan and Anne talking in the studio

Meghan Bean, Maia Palmer, Gina Grafos, and Aaron Bos Whal in conversation after group discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment